Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Chinese
Shenzhen University is a public comprehensive university located in China’s southern outpost – Shenzhen. As a renowned special economic zone, Shenzhen has strong social and business ethos supporting and encouraging innovation and entrepreneurship. Shenzhen is adjacent to the two international metropolises – Hong Kong and Macao, with the fastest growing economy and playing a leading role in the course of China’s modernization and internationalization. Shenzhen now has a population of more than 1,000,000 foreigners, and thus the use of English becomes more and more common. The demand for native English teachers who have both an expertise in language learning and teaching and an in-depth understanding of Chinese culture is on the increase.
Shenzhen University, a prestigious young university in China, is now accelerating its pace toward a world-class university with distinctive features and rich diversity. Shenzhen University welcomes international students applying for the Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Chinese (MA in TESOC).
Area of Study
The MA in TESOC program, jointly sponsored by the School of Foreign Languages and Seadragon Education Research Institute, is tailor made for students from outside China Mainland who have no or little experience in English language teaching but wish to teach English in Chinese schools and communities. It will provide practical teaching contents and focus on theories and issues relating to teaching and learning English in the context of China.
This program will provide students with:
- the most up-to-date theories and practice in the field of English language learning and teaching;
- an awareness and understanding of core issues in the area of teaching English as a second / foreign language;
- an in-depth understanding of the future teaching context by learning Mandarin and Chinese culture;
- flexible and student-oriented teaching methods by combining lectures, seminars, workshops and one-to-one supervision;
- opportunities to develop and practice teaching skills in Chinese schools;
- Sufficient supervision in EFL-related surveys and research projects.
Duration of the Program:
Two years (Full-time)
Master of Arts
30,000.00 RMB per year
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport.
- Applicants must hold the equivalent of a Chinese bachelor’s degree obtained from a university of recognized standing.
- For applicants whose native tongue is not English, Shenzhen University requires credentials of their English proficiency.
- A completed Application Form (Handwriting signature)
- A copy of the valid passport (High-definition)
- A personal statement explaining why you wish to study with the TESOC program in Shenzhen University. It is also an opportunity for you to convince the faculty of your merits. The letter should contain approximately 800-1,500 words.
- A copy of graduation certificates and transcripts: You are required to submit copies of all diplomas and official transcripts in English or Chinese; otherwise notarized translations in English or in Chinese are required.
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one from an academic staff member): Your referees need to comment on your skills and qualities in order to convince the faculty to admit you. The letter should include the name, position, and contact information of the referee so that the information provided can be verified.
- Personal resume. (Handwriting signature)
- One Personal Honesty Statement. The following should be included: I hereby declare that all the material I submit is entirely true and I will take full responsibility of the consequences of dishonesty. (Handwriting signature)
Application must be submitted with all required supporting documents and send to email@example.com. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Shenzhen University is delighted to offer a range of academic scholarships for talented international students. Eligible students may apply after registering at Shenzhen University for a degree course.
Program Contact Information
Joint Program Office (SIIIE&SZU)
Tel: +86 137 9858 7277
Seadragon Innovation Institute of International Education
Tel:+86 137 9858 7277